Witness Positive Material Identification (PMI) And Test Reports
Ensure your material tests conform to the specifications with our expert PMI witness services
Positive material identification (PMI) is an essential non-destructive testing (NDT) method utilized to identify material grade and alloy composition. It provides a semi-quantitative chemical analysis and is used for both material verification and identification. It is usually performed using a handheld device called X-ray fluorescence (XRF) Analyzer. PMI is utilized for quality control and safety compliance, and is an integral part of both production and asset integrity management across many industries including oil and gas, power, chemical, pharmaceutical, nuclear, aerospace and fabrication.
Metals used for critical process are designed to withstand certain temperature ranges, corrosion resistance, and yield strength. If improper metals are inadvertently used catastrophic events may take place. With PMI the alloy composition, and thus the identity of materials, can be determined. This method is particularly useful for high-quality metals like stainless steel and high alloy metal.
Positive material identification can prevent potential product failure in manufacturing. Pre-service and in-service inspection of critical components and welds with PMI can prevent breakdown and its costly consequences.
PMI can be used when:
- Product materials need to be identified (components with correct alloys)
- Working with a part that is part of an assembly
- Provide an indication that wrong material has been used
- A sample cannot be cut for testing
- A mixed lot is suspected (mixed-up alloys)
- Samples too costly to destroy
- Testing must be done on-site
- Conformity to the use of correct standard and specification is required (by customer and industry)
- Confirmation is required that welded components have used the correct filler material
AQSS offers witness services for PMI testing through experienced, trained personnel who can assure quality of service. Benefits of our witness PMI services include:
- Confidence that the test was performed accurately and results are interpreted correctly
- Assurance that results are accurate and essentially lead to good quality control
- Assurance for verification of specialty metal parts
- Reduced risk of company liability with documented safety standards
- Laboratory quality testing with independent verification
- A lead against the competition with a neutral audit seal
- Compliance with local government and legal requirements
A comprehensive report with any findings will be available to the client at the completion of the PMI test. We can also interpret and advise on the results.
Call us now to schedule witness inspection of your next PMI test and be assured of rapid and reliable service that provides assurance that your products and assets meet the required quality and safety standards.
We will be happy to give you more information about our services. Please fill in this form to contact us. We will respond as soon as possible.